Thursday, August 30, 2018

Marathon Training: Why Runner's World Grand Slam


Disclaimer: I received free entry to The Runner's World Half Marathon & Festival race as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!

I'm very excited about the opportunity to run my first race for Bibrave this October. Since moving back home I have definitely found it hard to commit to races while still trying to reestablish my life. Commitments to work have been the number one factor in deciding which races I can do. So when I saw the opportunity to run this race event I knew that I this was the race that I had been waiting for.

Why this race?

After taking a year off from running, I knew that I would need something different to reignite my passion for running. Once you lose a habit it takes a while and conscious effort to get back into it. This race weekend has an option for a Grand Slam, which is a combination of all four races throughout the weekend. I have seen a lot of runners through the years competing in the Disney Dopey challenge and though I never wanted to do that, I couldn't pass up the Grand Slam.

The Grand Slam is a unique distance because after you run all the races in the series you will have run 26.2 miles. So it's a marathon but spread out across three days. On Friday there is a 3.8 mile trail run, Saturday there is the 5K and the 10K, and Sunday is the Half Marathon. I found this to be the best way to get back into the running world without starting right away with a full marathon, in one day at least.


Does the Grand Slam sound too daunting? Not to worry there are other multi-race options for choose from:
  • The Hat Trick: 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon
  • The Five & Dime: 5K and 10K
If that isn't enough to get you excited, check out the schedule of event for the weekend:

Friday, October 19
12 p.m. – 7 p.m. Health & Fitness Expo & Packet Pick Up, ArtsQuest Musikfest Café
3:30 p.m. – Trail Run, South Mountain Park

Saturday, October 20
6:30 a.m. – 5K & 10K Number Pick Up, ArtsQuest
8 a.m. – 5K Start
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Health & Fitness Expo & Packet Pick Up, ArtsQuest Musikfest Café
9:30 a.m. – 10K Start
12 p.m. – Kids Races
2 p.m. –1-Mile Dog Run
5:30 p.m. – Dinner with the Editors

Sunday, October 21
6 a.m. – Race Day Packet Pick up
8 a.m. – Half Marathon Start

The race takes place in Bethlehem, PA which in October the weather should be beautiful, the trees starting to change colors, and fall should be in full swing. It's the perfect race to enjoy before winter gets here and starts to get things cold.

Join me and the other Bibrave Pro's at this race and use code "RWHALF18BIBRAVE" for 15% off any distance, even the multi-race options too!

Have you ever run a multi-race weekend before? Tell me what to expect down in my comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment